Saturday, June 30, 2007

Where's Waldo?


It seems that the British authorities are about as good as we are at giving clear, actionable directives, because everything I hear in the wake of three car bombs is either contradictory or mysteriously vague.

Do they want to catch anybody?

For instance, people are told to be vigilant, but not to be vigilantes.

My 11-year-old daughter heard me thinking aloud about what specifically being "vigilant" might mean, and she said "maybe they want people to be extra sure that they wash their hands well."

Or maybe it means to make sure you are wearing clean underwear with your name written inside just in case one of those bombs does go off--Mum's advice is so timeless.

British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith also said citizens should "report anything suspicious" and "be alert at all times" because the threat they are facing is "most severe".

Does a running man on fire at the airport screaming "Allah" count as suspicious? Is that something we should call in?

What about before we get to that point? What are the early warning signs that an SUV driver is going to ram a highly-crowded public area and turn himself into a fireball? Could you give us a few more clues?

I guess at this point, at least we know to be suspicious of cars. What do they want, panic or help in finding the people responsible?

Why haven't they broadcast that "crystal clear" image of the one suspect all over the country? People could be looking for that guy. That's something they could do vigilantly.

Where's Waldo? How the heck do I know; what's he look like?

4 comments:

jon said...

Yah... they don't want to profile, but they're alllllllllll.... um.....

Anonymous said...

I was searching for Waldo for a good five minutes, I love these search games, before I realised that it has been years since I last did this. I cannot recall now what Waldo looks like. Can you point him out?

Well then, I read your post and perhaps you don't know what Waldo looks like either. Oh the suspense *&*&!!!?!

I really like the name of your web log.

UGN said...

You like the name of my blog?! No one has ever said that. I am acutally going to change it sometime this summer when I move to wordpress. (I will miss out on the couple of hits a day that are searching for naked guys. I guess if that was my motive I should have called myself Ugly Naked Girl). Anyway, thanks for dropping by!

UGN said...

Jon:

You can't look specifically for the unmentionable people who you didn't mention, but maybe we are allowed to look for doctors in the county without visas since that is what it turns out 5 of the terrorists in Britain were.