Thursday, June 07, 2007

One of the WORST things you can do


It's amazing what passes for scandalous these days.

Today was the last day of school and a bunch of teachers went to the local Red Robin to unwind and celebrate. We deserve it.

During a meal that brought to light more than a few vices (drinking, foul language, inappropriate sexual comments--you know, things we hope our students never do), there was one thing that was clearly unacceptable to that enlightened group.

Somebody smoked a cigarette.

Oh, the humanity! (I can't believe my computer didn't crash just because I wrote the word!)

That's right, when Kelley and Anea walked off together to light up, there were voices of outrage and a chorus of disgust. Somebody yelled, "Let's shame them" as if it was time for some sort of intervention (and he wasn't joking).

You would have thought they had admitted to being child molesters. It is amazing to me that all sorts of behavior is tolerated in our society--even celebrated--but let someone smoke and all of a sudden people forget that they love to say, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

It's like the unpardonable sin! Why, they're killing us all and contributing to global warming all at the same time. This is no time to take lightly the foibles of man. This is war!

I am not a smoking advocate. I have never smoked and I hate the smell like most of us do. But it never fails to amaze me how well the anti-smoking lobby has turned so many otherwise tolerant people into a bunch of church ladies.

Sometimes an Ugly Naked Guy has got to wonder...

No comments: